The first step was to create the outline of what the bed would look like. Robin (Landscape Designer Lady Extrordinaire!) came by on Wednesday and spraypainted the outline onto the grass. I was sort of surprised at how big they were but she reminded me that these beds were designed to hold trees, shrubs and plants that would get big so we had to make it big.
So finally the big day arrived! The landscaping crew showed up bright and early and the first thing they needed to do was move our playset. Why the people who lived here before us decided to put that set smack in the middle of the yard, I'll never understand but the plan very wisely called for it to be moved to the side of the yard, closer to the basketball court. I couldn't believe how easily that Bobcat picked up the set like it was a toy! You can see in this picture where the set was before--it left a little square of sand where the sandbox was.
I had to include this picture because it cracked me up! Nick took Thursday and Friday off to watch over the work except The Man in him wouldn't let him just stand by and watch them work so he worked much of the day with the crew. That's him on the far left telling them where the set should go. I don't think he understands the concept of paying other people to do the work for you!
So while one part of the crew was moving our playset, another guy was using a sod-cutter to cut out the outline of the bed. This nifty little machine cuts the sod from the ground making nice little carpets that you can roll up and use for whatever. We used some of our sod to cover some spaces in the yard, including where the playset used to be.
After the outline was finished it was time for the dirt to be delivered! We had 5 or 6 of these trucks full of dirt delivered to help build up the birm. Or flowerbed. Whatever it's called.
After they dumped the dirt, the Bobcat moved it around and made it smooth. I couldn't believe how good the guy who was driving that thing was! He was so precise with such a big peice of equipment. The boys got a kick out of seeing the Bobcat zoom around, too. And by "boys" I mean Nick, too! :) The dirt delivery and placement took by far the most amount of time, probably 5 or 6 hours.
The next day it was time for the mulch to arrive! Most of you have spread at least some mulch in your yard so you know what that work is like. This was A LOT of mulch!!! I was purely happy to just sit and watch the workers spread the mulch for me. I was like a lady of leisure...
And here is the final result! It may not look like a lot to you all but we are really pleased with it. Now if we could afford the trees and shrubs to go in it...
2 comments:
Whoo Hoo! It looks really nice Amy. You're going to have a ball filling that thing in with flowers and trees and what not :) And it will make a great mudpie area until then :)
Wow! This looks awesome! Good for you, enjoying every minute of watching someone else do it for you. You deserve it!!!! :)
Post a Comment