Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Alex's First Day of Kindergarten!!!

So it's finally here. My baby, my first born, is off to kindergarten. I never thought I would be the mom crying when her kid stepped onto the school bus for his first day of school, but there I was, crying to see my sweetie go! We had some concerns about his willingness to get on the bus but those turned out to be unfounded and aside from a bit of a meltdown when he discovered he was the only one without a lunch box (they only offer half-day kindergarten so they don't eat lunch there) he was a trooper.

Here he is all jazzed up for his first day with his new backpack!


















Lydia, Alex, Jackson and Josie all waiting for the bus...














Here it comes! I swear that they lined up in height order on their own...we didn't do that! :)














And there he goes...he got on that bus like he'd been doing it for years!

















After we got him on the bus, the parents are invited to the school to see them getting off the bus and see the classroom. Here is our brave bus-rider with all the other kindergarteners. Don't they all look so small?!

















Here is Alex at the table that had his name on it. And yes, that is a little boy with a mohawk haircut sitting next to him. Check out the look Alex is giving him...I had the same look on my face! :)















Mrs. Ferry (his teacher) read them the book "The Kissing Hand" about a racoon that is sad to leave his mom to go to school but she puts a kiss in his hand to remind him of her. I started to lose it around the middle of the book when the little boy raccoon gives his mom a kiss to remind her of him. Seriously, why did she have to read that book???! I was holding it together fine until that part!




























Here she is giving Alex his kissing hand stamp to remind him of how much we love and miss him. Then he gave us a kiss and we were on our way. I was able to hold it together pretty much until we got outside the classroom and then the dam burst. What a baby I am!






























At 11:15 I picked him up and he said he had a great day but couldn't really remember much that he did, except play outside at recess, which he said was his favorite part. When we got home he crawled up in my lap and said very slowly, "Mom...kindergarten...rocks!"

3 comments:

Laura said...

I'm so glad Alex's first day went well. You're not a baby...just a Mom! I remember doing the same thing for Katie's first day of Preschool and then again on her first day of Kindergarten. It's not easy letting them grow up! Actually...I'm crying as I'm writing this...just remembering! Hang in there!

Unknown said...

Awww! I would cry too. What an awful book to read with all the mommies there! :)
~Maggie

Patriot777 said...

Aw, Alex looked so excited! Hope you are holding up ok Amy. Love you guys lots. Thanks for posting the pictures!

Fall Pumpkins